Invasion of Europe news…..
He is calling their bluff!
Other European countries agreed just recently to share the burden with an invasion weary Italy, let’s see how many keep their word.
So far Germany, France and Malta have agreed to 50 each which means 300 (of the original 450) are still in limbo.
I was looking for any mention of where the 450 are at right now.
Let me know if you see that important bit of information.
From The Local:
France, Germany, Malta will take 50 rescued migrants each: Italian PM
Germany said Sunday it had agreed with Italy to take in 50 of the 450 migrants aboard two EU border agency vessels, matching similar pledges by France and Malta.
“France and Malta will respectively take 50 migrants each… other countries will follow very quickly,” Conte said on his Facebook page on Saturday.
A German government spokeswoman later said in a statement that “Germany and Italy have agreed that, in view of the ongoing talks on intensified bilateral cooperation on asylum policy, Germany is ready to take in 50 people”.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte confirmed the deal on Sunday, writing on Facebook that 150 of the 450 migrants had now been accepted and the rest would soon be fairly distributed among other EU countries.
“This is the solidarity and responsibility we have always asked from Europe and now, after the results obtained at the last European Council, it is starting to become reality,” Conte said.
“Let’s continue on this path with firmness and respect for human rights.”
Italy has since Saturday requested that its EU peers take some of the migrants stranded aboard the Frontex ships off the Italian coast.
Earlier, Italy and Malta had been at loggerheads again over whose responsibility it was to offer the 450 migrants on board the two EU Frontex vessels a safe harbour.
Conte said he had spent the day in contact with his 27 EU peers, reminding them that they had agreed at their end-June summit on the need to share the burden of dealing with the migrant influx.
The migrants, like thousands of others, had set sail from Libya in a single wooden vessel which was identified early Friday while passing through waters under Malta’s jurisdiction.
But Italy’s far-right Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who has authority over the country’s ports, on Friday refused to let them dock in the latest demonstration of his no-go stance on accepting more migrants.
Salvini insisted instead that the two Frontex vessels be instructed to “head south, to Libya or Malta”.
Salvini, who took office when Italy’s new populist government came to power on June 1st, wants to block any further migrant arrivals by boat and has banned NGO rescue ships from docking in Italian ports, accusing them of aiding human traffickers.
More here. The article doesn’t say whether Salvini and Conte are on the same page with this latest batch of migrants.
So what happens with the next ship carrying hundreds????
Dear American readers, if you are sitting back and thinking this doesn’t involve you, think again.
We have taken hundreds of Malta’s illegal aliens off their hands over the years ever since the Bush Administration waved a magic wand, declared the migrants “refugees,” and said that we would relieve Malta’s burden and resettle some of these men to America.
The last time I looked at the data, the Trump Administration, continuing the legally questionable practice, had taken 123 fake refugees from Malta in this fiscal year (as of May 31). See my post here. I’m guessing the Prez has no clue what the State Department is doing regarding Malta.
So if Malta takes 50 of this bunch, how many of those will end up in your American town?